No spring wardrobe is complete without a trench coat, and with the arrival of some warmer weather (yay!), it’s finally time to start shedding some of those layers and lightening up our outerwear. Trench coats have long been seen as a fashion 'must have' - ever since Audrey Hepburn wore one in her famous role as Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany's. They date back to the First World War, when Thomas Burberry invented gaberdine fabric and created the coat for officers in the British army, to keep them warm and dry in the trenches. Over the years it has been reinvented so many times, but still retains many of its original military features. Modern versions come in vibrant colours and patterns, but it's the classic beige that will always stand the test of time.
Some reasons why I love them so much:
- The trench coat is a classic and will never date, making it the most practical fashion investment you could make
- It's super flattering for almost all body shapes when chosen with care and worn well
- It makes any outfit look more sophisticated and pulled together, regardless of what you're wearing underneath!
- It’s so versatile and goes well with everything - jeans, workwear, dresses, the list is endless. My favourite way to wear it is open, for a more relaxed look, with skinny jeans, Breton top and brogues or sneakers
- It’s ideal for Spring, Autumn and the rain, but can be worn on a sunny day too
- There is a trench coat for all price ranges
Burberry Long Leather Detail Gaberdine Trench Coat £1,295
L.K. Bennett Janis Single Breasted Trench Coat £325
Mint Velvet Stone Trench Coat
Banana Republic New Classic Trench £129
Zara Double Breasted Trench Coat £99
Boden Spring Trench now £103.20 from £129
M&S Collection Pure Cotton Belted Trench Coat with Stormwear
Gap Classic Trench £64.95
H&M Trenchcoat £29.99
A very stylish option in classic navy, and such a great price. Also comes in my beloved beige.
So, what is your favourite style of trench coat? I had my last one, a classic design from Boden, for over ten years, but I took it to a clothes swapping party a few months ago. I've been hunting for my replacement for a while, and have finally ordered one of the above! Any guesses which one? I will report back....
Finishing with my outfit from yesterday:
White knit top - American Vintage at Yard
Sleeveless pale grey chunky knit - Hush SS12
Snake print grey jeans - Zara AW13 sale
Black and Pearl Ballet Pumps - Boden SS14
Back soon with another classic spring investment..